Trump, Moon Discuss Keeping US-N. Korean Summit on Track

FILE – President Donald Trump, left, speaks as South Korean President Moon Jae-in looks on during a joint news conference at the Blue House in Seoul, South Korea, Nov. 7, 2017.

The leaders of the U.S. and South Korea have discussed ways to keep the upcoming U.S.- North Korea summit on track.

During a 20-minute telephone conversation, Moon Jae-in and Donald Trump exchanged views about how best to deal with the seeming roadblocks the North has thrown into what would be historic talks between Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un on June 12 in Singapore. The June meeting would be a first for the leaders of the two countries.

Yoon Young-chan, President Moon’s senior press secretary said in a statement that “The two leaders exchanged opinions of various actions taken by North Korea recently.”

A White House statement said the two leaders will “continue their close coordination ahead” of the Trump-Kim summit.

Trump and Moon are scheduled to meet Tuesday in Washington.

North Korea threatened last week to pull out of the June summit because of South Korea’s ongoing military exercises with the U.S., calling the exercises an invasion rehearsal.

In addition, the North’s Red Cross is now demanding the return of 12 North Korean restaurant workers who have been in the South since 2016. The North says the return of the women would demonstrate the South’s willingness to improve relations with the North.

The North has accused the South of abducting the women. The South, however, has said previously that it has confirmed the women’s free will in resettling in the South.

Steve Herman contributed to this report. | voanews

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...