TUPAD beneficiaries urged: Be vigilant vs scams

Labor Secretary Silvestre ‘Bebot’ Bello III urged beneficiaries of the Tulong Panghanapbuhay sa Ating Disadvantaged/Displaced Workers (TUPAD) program to be vigilant against public officials and their cohorts using government aid programs for personal gains.

Bello made the call amid allegations of anomalies in the implementation of TUPAD in Quezon City where local executives were tagged for irregularities in the program.

TUPAD is the cash-for-work program of the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) to help pandemic-hit workers.

DOLE earlier recalled its field officer in Quezon City to pave the way for the investigations being conducted by the Philippine National Police (PNP) and the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) over the matter.

“The probes will definitely bring out names and we are prepared to file cases against those who deserve punishment,” Bello said during a TUPAD payout ceremony in Cagayan de Oro City.

Aside from Cagayan de Oro City, Bello also went to other parts of Mindanao such as Iligan City, Bukidnon, Koronadal City, Kidapawan City and Digos City to deliver TUPAD and other key aid programs of DOLE.

Bello warned local officials not to use TUPAD for politicking as the government is striving hard to help Filipino workers affected by the pandemic.

“TUPAD should not be used in politics because the program is really for our countrymen who need help amid the crisis,” Bello said.  (DOLE) – bny

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...