Turkey cancels mandatory indoor mask-wearing

Xinhua News Agency

 

ANKARA – Turkey has lifted the mandatory wearing of masks in closed spaces as the COVID-19 pandemic does not pose a “mass threat” anymore, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Tuesday, April 26. 

“The obligation to use masks in closed spaces has been completely lifted” as the pandemic is “no longer a mass threat,” Erdogan told reporters after a meeting of the country’s coronavirus science board.

However, mandatory mask use in public transport and hospitals will continue until the number of daily cases drops below 1,000, he noted.

The science board recommends that those aged over 65 or with risky diseases continue to use masks, the president added.

Turkey’s daily COVID-19 cases have been in a sharp decline in the past months, with 2,604 new cases and 15 deaths reported on Monday.

Turkey has administered more than 147.4 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines since a mass vaccination campaign in January last year.

Ankara has been gradually easing coronavirus-related restrictions since 2021. In January this year, the government abolished the PCR test requirement for screening purposes and for close contacts of individuals testing positive for COVID-19.

The test requirement for unvaccinated individuals joining public events was also canceled and the quarantine for COVID-19 patients was shortened to seven days.

Turkey lifted the outdoor mask-wearing mandate in March. (Xinhua)

– ag

 

 

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...