UAE leader pardons 3 Pinoys following PBBM’s appeal

President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. thanks United Arab Emirates President Sheikh Mohamed Bin Zayed Al Nahyan in a phone call for pardoning three convicted Filipinos, June 2023. (Presidential Communications Office photo)

Presidential Communications Office

President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. has thanked United Arab Emirates President Sheikh Mohamed Bin Zayed Al Nahyan for pardoning three convicted Filipinos, two of whom were on death row, already serving their sentences in the emirate state.

In a telephone call to Sheikh Mohamed, President Marcos expressed gratitude for the grant of the request he made two months ago.

Interior Secretary Benjamin Abalos Jr. broke the news to President Marcos late Thursday after receiving a message from UAE Ambassador to the Philippines Mohamed Obaid Salem Alqataam Alzaabi.

“Good evening Secretary. I am pleased to inform you that the appeal of President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. for three Filipinos, two of which are sentenced to death because of drug trafficking and 1 sentenced for 15 years for the crime of slander, has been granted for humanitarian pardon by our President H.H. Shiekh Mohamed Bin Zayed Al Nahyan,” the UAE Ambassador told Abalos.

In two separate letters last April 27, President Marcos requested Sheikh Mohamed to grant the three Filipino prisoners humanitarian pardon.

Of the three prisoners, two were sentenced to death for drug trafficking while the other one was handed down a 15-year sentence for slander.

President Marcos also thanked Sheikh Mohamed for extending assistance to displaced families by the Mayon Volcano eruption. The UAE has sent 50 tons of food supplies and medicine to Mayon evacuees.

For his part, Sheikh Mohamed noted the valuable contribution of some 600,000 Filipinos working in UAE.

“I am thankful because you have done so much for us. That’s the least we can do. Then the usual things about having stronger relations and I said my part about the very good treatment of Filipino nationals in UAE,” President Marcos said after their phone conversation.

Sheikh Mohamed also reiterated his invitation to President Marcos to attend the 2023 United Nations Climate Change Conference in Dubai in December. The invitation was first relayed to President Marcos by UAE Ambassador Mohamed during his courtesy call in Malacañang last week.

For his part, President Marcos invited Sheikh Mohamed to come to the Philippines, saying the UAE leader is always welcome to come to the country.

Popular

Can an arrest warrant be served to a suspect’s lawyer? NBI says no

By Brian Campued A warrant of arrest cannot be served to a suspect’s legal counsel, according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). In a press...

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...

DOJ tasks PNP, NBI to ‘effect the arrest’ of Bato

By Brian Campued “We’re pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved.” The Department of Justice (DOJ) has given the greenlight for law...

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...