UK’s coronavirus-related deaths top 150,000

Xinhua News Agency

LONDON, Jan. 8 (Xinhua) — Britain reported a further 313 coronavirus-related deaths, bringing the total number of coronavirus-related deaths in Britain to 150,057, according to official figures released Saturday.

The country also reported another 146,390 coronavirus cases in the latest 24-hour period, bringing the total number of coronavirus cases in the country to 14,333,794.

Professor Andrew Hayward, a British government advisory scientist, told the BBC that Britain recording more than 150,000 COVID deaths was “absolutely tragic.”

“I think we could have done better. I think some of the deaths are even more tragic for the fact that many of them were avoidable if we had acted earlier in the first and second wave,” said Hayward, a University College London academic.

Britain is the seventh country to pass 150,000 reported deaths, after the United States, Brazil, India, Russia, Mexico and Peru, according to the BBC.

A government spokesman said: “Every death from this virus is a tragedy and our sympathies are with everyone who has lost loved ones.”

The latest figures came as scientists have said COVID booster jabs provide 90% protection against hospitalization in the over-65s for at least three months.

It means that there is “no immediate need” for a fourth jab to be administered to vulnerable people, the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) said.

More than 90% of people aged 12 and over in Britain have had their first dose of vaccine and more than 82% have received both doses, according to the latest figures. More than 61% have received booster jabs, or the third dose of a coronavirus vaccine.

To bring life back to normal, countries such as Britain, China, Germany, Russia and the United States have been racing against time to roll out coronavirus vaccines. (Xinhua) -ag

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...