UN ready to support PH in wake of Typhoon ‘Vinta’

MANILA — Offering sympathies to the victims of Tropical Storm “Vinta” (internationally known as Tembin), the United Nations has expressed readiness to extend support to Philippines’ humanitarian response to the badly-hit regions.

On Christmas Eve, Ola Almgren, UN resident coordinator said the preparation and response efforts of the Philippine government are “acknowledged,” and as in the past, UN “remains ready to render support in response to humanitarian need.”

The statement comes after Secretary-General António Guterres on Saturday offered his sympathies to the families and victims of the calamity.

“[Secretary-General Guterres] salutes the efforts of the national rescue and recovery teams as well as volunteers who are operating under difficult conditions,” his spokesperson said in a statement.
“The UN stands ready to support the local and national authorities, in addition to the support already being provided by humanitarian partners.”

Prayers offered

On Sunday, Pope Francis, the United States and Australian government also offered prayers to the victims of the tropical storm.

“I want to offer my prayers to the population of the island of Mindanao, in the Philippines, hit by a storm that has caused numerous victims and destruction,” the Pope said after his weekly Angelus prayer in St. Peter’s Square at the Vatican.

“Merciful Lord, take in the souls of the dead and comfort those who are suffering as a result of this calamity. Let’s pray for these people,” he added.

In 2015, the pontiff visited the Philippines and held a holy mass in Tacloban where super typhoon Yolanda caused enormous devastation in 2013.

In a tweet, US Ambassador to the Philippines Sung Kim also offered his “thoughts and prayers” to the victims of tropical storm Vinta.

Australian Ambassador to the Philippines Amanda Gorley also shared similar sentiments saying Australia’s “thoughts and sympathies” are with the families affected by Vinta.

Vinta made landfall in Davao Oriental last week and crossed various provinces across Mindanao causing flash floods and landslides, which rendered several roads impassable.

According to the National Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC), about 100,000 families were affected in 998 barangays, at least 125 lives have been lost, and more than 159 still missing.

Of the more than 100,000 families affected, about 97,000 persons are currently staying in around 261 evacuation centers. (PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...