US calls on countries to maintain sanctions on North Korea

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, left, greets North Korea’s Foreign Minister Ri Yong-ho as they prepare for a group photo at the 25th ASEAN Regional Forum Retreat in Singapore, Saturday, Aug. 4, 2018.

The United States has urged countries to be diligent in maintaining sanctions on North Korea.

Pyongyang, meanwhile, says it is alarmed by recent U.S. attitudes, but remains committed to its nuclear deal.

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo called on countries Saturday to strictly enforce sanctions on the isolated nation. His remarks followed the release of a United Nations report warning that North Korea has found ways to navigate around the sanctions imposed over the North’s nuclear weapons program.

Pompeo emphasized “the importance of maintaining diplomatic and economic pressure on North Korea to achieve the final, fully verified denuclearization that DPRK has agreed to,” using the initials of the North’s official name.

North Korean Foreign Minister Ri Yong Ho said his country “stands firm in its determination and commitment for implementing” the terms of denuclearization “in a responsible and good-faith manner.”

The minister said, however, that recent U.S. attitudes are “alarming” and “go back to the old, far from its leader’s intention.”

The U.N. report said North Korea has had a “massive increase” of illegal ship-to-ship transfers of oil products at sea to evade sanctions.

The report also documented violations of a ban on North Korean exports, including coal, iron and seafood which generate millions of dollars of revenue for Pyongyang.

There are also indications that the North is continuing to build rockets and concerns that it has not been clear on when and how it will disarm.

Pompeo said the U.S. is taking any infringement of the sanctions very seriously.

“We have seen reports that Russia is allowing for joint ventures with North Korean firms and granting new work permits to North Korean guest workers,” Pompeo said.

“If these reports are proven accurate, and we have every reason to believe that they are, that would be in violation “of U.N. sanctions.” he said.

At a meeting of regional foreign ministers in Singapore Saturday, Pompeo and Ri approached each other during the “family photo,” shook hands and exchanged a few words.

Pompeo said, “We should talk again, soon.”

“I agree,” Ri said. “There are many productive conversations to be had.”

Following that exchange, the U.S. ambassador to the Philippines gave Ri a letter from President Trump to North Korea Chairman Kim. The White House said it was a response to a letter Kim had written to Trump earlier in the week. Voice of America

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...