US Indopacom commander visits PH for MDT 70th anniversary

In honor of the 70th anniversary of the U.S.-Philippine Mutual Defense Treaty, Adm. John C. Aquilino, Commander for U.S. Indo-Pacific Command, traveled to the Philippines to reaffirm the U.S. commitment to the alliance with the Philippines.

During his visit, Aquilino attended the commemoration of the 70th anniversary of the U.S.-Philippine Mutual Defense Treaty, met with senior government officials, and underscored the U.S. commitment to the Philippines and the Indo-Pacific region.

“Our alliance represents the mutual trust that is central to our enduring friendship, and this trust is a necessity in order to confront the security challenges in this theater,” Aquilino said.

“Both of our nations have made it clear that we are committed to the Alliance, and that we remain prepared to fight alongside and defend each other using all of our capabilities to preserve the region’s peace and stability.”

As part of his trip, Aquilino met with Secretary of Foreign Affairs Teodoro L. Locsin Jr., Secretary of National Defense Delfin N. Lorenzana, and Armed Forces of the Philippines Inspector General Lt. Gen. Franco Nemesio M. Gacal.

“The Armed Forces of the Philippines welcomes Admiral John C. Aquilino as we commemorate the 70th anniversary of the signing of the Mutual Defense Treaty, the birth of our defense alliance,” Lt. Gen. Gacal said on behalf of AFP Chief of Staff Gen. Jose Faustino.

“This occasion is an opportunity to advance our mutual security interests and manifests both our Armed Forces’ commitment to the alliance even in the midst of challenges brought by the pandemic.”

The trip marks his first visit to the Philippines as Commander U.S. Indo-Pacific Command and underscores the U.S.-Philippine relationship as close friends and allies.

Aquilino previously visited the Philippines as Commander U.S. Navy Pacific Fleet in August 2018, meeting with Secretary Lorenzana and other Philippine defense officials to discuss opportunities to increase military cooperation. (AFP) (USINDOPACOM) – jlo

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...