US plane lands in South Korea with war remains

U.N. honor guards carry small boxes containing remains believed to be from American servicemen killed during the 1950-53 Korean War after they arrived from North Korea, at Osan Air Base in Pyeongtaek, South Korea, July 27, 2018. (Photo courtesy of Reuters)

A U.S. military plane flew to North Korea and returned with the remains of U.S. service members killed in the Korean War more than six decades ago, the White House press secretary confirmed in a statement late Thursday.

“A U.S. Air Force C-17 aircraft containing remains of fallen service members has departed Wonsan, North Korea,” the White House statement said. “It is accompanied by service members from United Nations Command Korea and technical experts from the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency. The C-17 is transferring the remains to Osan Air Base (near Seoul), where a formal repatriation ceremony will be held on August 1.”

The plane landed in South Korea early Friday morning with 55 cases of remains returned by North Korea.

U.S. soldiers salute vehicles transporting the remains of 55 U.S. soldiers who were killed in the Korean War at Osan Air Base in Pyeongtaek, South Korea, July 27, 2018.
U.S. soldiers salute vehicles transporting the remains of 55 U.S. soldiers who were killed in the Korean War at Osan Air Base in Pyeongtaek, South Korea, July 27, 2018. (Photo courtesy of Reuters)

“It was a successful mission following extensive coordination,” said United Nations Command and United States Forces Korea Commander General Vincent K. Brooks. “Now, we will prepare to honor our fallen before they continue on their journey home.”

Immediately after the August 1 ceremony, the remains will be flown to Hawaii for further processing under the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency.

The South Korean news agency Yonhap, citing a South Korean diplomatic source, earlier had reported that North Korea recently received two truckloads of wooden boxes from U.S. officials.

Friday marks the 65th anniversary of the signing of the armistice that ended the 1950-53 war that split the communist North and the democratic South.

“The United States owes a profound debt of gratitude to those American service members who gave their lives in service to their country and we are working diligently to bring them home. It is a solemn obligation of the United States Government to ensure that the remains are handled with dignity and properly accounted for so their families receive them in an honorable manner,” the White House statement said.

The transfer begins to fulfill an agreement made last month between North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and U.S. President Donald Trump during their historic meeting in Singapore in June.

About 7,700 U.S. soldiers are listed as missing from the Korean War, and 5,300 of the remains are believed to still be in North Korea. Voice of America

Popular

NMC backs DND over infra works, dev’t in West PH Sea features

By Brian Campued The National Maritime Council (NMC) on Saturday expressed support for the Department of National Defense (DND) for its rejection of recent statements...

Filipino astrophysics students’ ‘Double Gyroscope’ experiment performed by NASA astronaut in space

By Brian Campued An experiment designed by Filipino students was recently carried out by a National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) astronaut aboard the International...

Can an arrest warrant be served to a suspect’s lawyer? NBI says no

By Brian Campued A warrant of arrest cannot be served to a suspect’s legal counsel, according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). In a press...

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...