US suspends economic aid to Sudan

Xinhua News Agency

WASHINGTON – The United States on Monday (Oct. 25) suspended $700 million in economic aid to Sudan after the country’s military forces arrested civilian leaders and officials.

“The United States condemns the actions taken overnight by Sudanese military forces,” State Department spokesperson Ned Price said during a press briefing. “The arrest of civilian government officials and other political leaders, including Prime Minister (Abdalla) Hamdok, undermines the country’s transition to democratic civilian rule.”

“In light of these developments, the United States is pausing assistance from the $700 million in emergency assistance appropriations of economic support funds for Sudan,” he added.

Price urged the military to immediately release all detained political actors, fully restore the civilian-led transitional government, and refrain from violence against protesters.

Earlier on Monday, Chairman of Sudan’s Sovereign Council Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan declared a state of emergency across Sudan and dissolved the transitional sovereign council and the government.

The decision was made hours after Sudanese Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok, members of the Transitional Sovereignty Council’s civilian component and several ministers were arrested by joint military forces. (Xinhua) – bny

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...