US Weighs Sizable Drawdown in Afghanistan, Officials Say

by VOA News

FILE – U.S. troops listen to a security briefing before leaving their base in Logar province, Afghanistan, Aug. 5, 2018.

President Donald Trump is considering withdrawing roughly half of the more than 14,000 U.S. troops stationed in Afghanistan, senior administration officials say.

Under the reported plan, about 7,000 U.S. troops would start coming home in January, and the rest would exit in the coming months in a phased drawdown.

There was no comment from the Pentagon or U.S. Central Command.

The U.S. troops are part of a non-combat NATO force whose primary mission is training and advising Afghan forces in taking over responsibility for security in their country.

The comments from the U.S. officials came a day after Trump’s stunning announcement that the U.S. would pull its troops out of Syria.

“I think it shows how serious the president is about wanting to come out of conflicts,” one official told The Wall Street Journal. “I think he wants to see viable options about how to bring conflicts to a close.”

The Trump administration has been looking for a negotiated settlement of the war in Afghanistan, which would include talks with the Taliban.

Earlier this week, Defense Secretary James Mattis, who announced Thursday that he would step down in February, said the conflicts in Afghanistan have been going on for almost 40 years and enough is enough.

“It’s time for everyone to get on board,” Mattis said, and support those who are seeking peace, including the U.N. and the presidents of Afghanistan and India.

But some White House insiders said Mattis was not pleased by Trump’s decision to start pulling U.S. forces out of Afghanistan.

Mattis did not specially mention Afghanistan in his resignation letter to Trump, but said the president has the “right to have a secretary of defense whose views are better aligned with yours.”

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...