Usec. Castro: Remarks on teachers meant as a reminder, not blame

Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro holds a press briefing in Malacañang on Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026. (Screengrab: RTVM)

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency

Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro on Wednesday said her previous remarks on the role of teachers in guiding students were misinterpreted, stressing that she was not blaming educators for the recent school violence.

Usec. Castro issued the clarification after the Alliance of Concerned Teachers (ACT) described her remarks following the shooting at the Ateneo de Zamboanga University Junior High School as “reckless and insulting.”

“Unang-una ay wala po tayong sinisisi na mga guro; ito ay pagpapaalala sa ating mga kagalang-galang na mga guro kung ano po ang kanilang malaking role bilang tagahubog ng magandang kaugalian lalong-lalo na sa mga kabataan,” Usec. Castro said in a Palace press briefing.

She said her remarks were intended to emphasize that young people must be guided not only by their parents but also by schools and teachers, whom she described as playing the role of second parents.

“Ang mga guro iginagalang po natin yan, malamang nagkaroon lamang po ng misinterpretation dahil yung nagpalabas ng opinyon ay mali agad at sinabi na sinisisi natin ang mga teachers,” Usec. Castro said.

The Malacañang official said her reference to instances involving some teachers was based on specific cases that had been investigated or reported.

She cited a previous incident in Davao City involving students who allegedly heckled President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. and used inappropriate language during his recent visit, as well as a separate case involving a teacher who allegedly posted a video teaching students insulting words directed at the Chief Executive.

The latter case is now the subject of an administrative proceeding, according to Castro, who said the teacher admitted making the video.

She added that the incident prompted the Department of Education (DepEd) to issue a memorandum reminding teachers to uphold professionalism.

“Hindi po kayo sinisisi. Ito ay pagpapaalala,” Usec. Castro said.

The Palace spokesperson also rejected suggestions that she had disrespected teachers, noting her personal connection to the profession.

“Hindi ko po kailanman hindi bibigyang galang ang mga guro dahil ang aking ina, hindi pa po ako pinapanganak, ay isang public school teacher,” she said.

She said her mother remained in the teaching profession until her death.

Castro said she understood why some teachers were offended but maintained that her remarks should not be construed as holding educators responsible for the violence.

“Naiintindihan ko po kung saan nanggagaling ang ating mga guro. Wala po tayong sinabi na sila ang dapat sisihin,” she said.

ACT earlier criticized Usec. Castro for remarks it said appeared to link some teachers to the country’s culture of violence following the Ateneo de Zamboanga shooting, which left two students dead.

Report with caution

Meanwhile, PCO Secretary Dave Gomez urged extreme caution in reporting tragedies involving minors following the shooting incident.

State media, the PCO chief said, must exercise the highest level of care, while private media organizations are respectfully urged to show restraint and responsibility.

Sec. Gomez said coverage should not compromise the dignity, safety, and privacy of minors, hurt bereaved families, interfere with investigations, or include details that could encourage copycat acts.

Popular

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...