Vietnam SEAG to open on May 12 of next year

Organizers of the 31st Southeast Asian Games (SEAG) in Vietnam announced on its website on Friday that the biennial multi-sport Games postponed from last year will be held from May 12 to 23 next year.

The specific dates were posted on Vietnam’s national Olympic committee website and reported by Channel News Asia (CNA).

The Games will open three days after the Philippines holds its national elections on May 9, 2022.

According to Philippine Olympic Committee President Rep. Abraham “Bambol” Tolentino, the majority of the athletes, coaches, and officials on Team Philippines would be unable to cast their votes.

“This is one of those sacrifices of having to represent the country in an international competition,” Tolentino said, whose POC has already determined a 626-athlete delegation to the Vietnam games which will be played in the Hanoi main hub.

“The main bulk of the delegation will be leaving for Vietnam no less than a week before the opening ceremony,” the POC chief quipped. “This is because our athletes need to acclimatize and get the feel of the competition venues, environment and weather.”

The weather in Hanoi gets hot in May with temperatures expected to reach 34 degrees Centigrade. Hanoi hosted the SEA Games for the first time in 2003 in a December schedule when the weather was wintry with temperatures dropping to 11 degrees Centigrade in the evening.

Vietnam originally scheduled the games from Nov. 21 to Dec. 2 last year but was forced to postpone because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Hanoi will be the main hub with 11 other sub-venues.

Vietnam, the ANC said, has allocated a budget of around $69 million for these games, which are expected to attract close 20,000 participants, 7,000 of them athletes from 11 countries.

“With the dates set, our athletes, through their national sports associations, could now specifically program their training and peak at the right time in May,” Tolentino said.

The Philippines will compete in 39 of the 40 sports on the Vietnam games program. (POC) -bny

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...