Village chief, 2 others in cop’s murder nabbed

Tatlong suspek sa pagpatay kay PO2 Rafael Sibunga sa Pasay City, arestado ng PNP Southern Police District noong June 1, 2018 | photo from Eunice Samonte-PTV

MANILA — Police are looking into the possiblity that rivalry in local politics prompted the killing of a policeman in Pasay City Friday.

As this developed, three suspects – including a barangay chairman – have been arrested in the killing of PO3 Rafael Sibungan.

They were presented to newsmen by the Philippine National Police (PNP) on Monday.

Sibungan was assigned at the PNP PRO-ARMM (Police Regional Office A-Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao) and had recently returned to his home in Pasay when shot.

PNP chief Director General Oscar Albayalde identified the primary suspect as Norman Yrad, 19, and a resident of #1772 Tramo St. Brgy. 46, Zone 6 Pasay City. Yrad was arrested in an operation based on the description given by the eyewitness.

Albayalde said Yrad in turn identified Anthony Jay Monsalve a.k.a. Pater, 33 and Barangay 46, Zone 6 Chairman Nestor Advincula as the masterminds behind the killing.

“(He) also confessed that Chairman Advincula instructed him to kill PO3 Sibungan in exchange for PHP20,000. The Pasay police conducted continuous follow up operation on the same date that eventually resulted in the arrest of Monsalve and Advincula,” Albayalde told reporters.

Southern Police District head Chief Supt. Tomas Apolinario said Sibungan had been complaining of drug personalities being protected by barangay officials.

Apolinario also said one of the victim’s children ran for chairman against Advincula in the recent barangay polls but lost. (Benjamin Pulta/PNA)

Popular

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...