VP asks dismissal of confidential funds cases

Vice President and Department of Education Secretary Sara Z. Duterte at the Basic Education Report 2024 of the DepEd on Jan. 25, in Pasay City. (Photo from PCO)

By Benjamin Pulta | Philippine News Agency

Vice President Sara Duterte-Carpio has formally asked the Supreme Court to dismiss three petitions questioning the propriety of P125 million in confidential funds in the Office of the Vice President (OVP) under the 2022 budget.

In a 16-page consolidated comment filed before the tribunal last May 10, Duterte, through her counsel, former Solicitor General Estelito Mendoza, sought the dismissal of the petitions separately filed by Christian Monsod, Howard Calleja, and the ACT Teachers Party-list.

Mendoza, in his comment, said “none of the petitions present an actual case or controversy and none of the petitioners alleged a legal demandable and enforceable right which calls for the exercise of judicial power”.

The mandate of the High Court, he said, “does not include the duty to answer all of life’s questions,” adding that “the petitions are mere apprehension and speculation about contingent funds or confidential funds, which does not constitute a justiciable controversy.”

Mendoza argued that the Court’s power “is not unbridled authority to review just any claim of constitutional violation or grave abuse of discretion”.

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...