‘We must do more’: Teary-eyed PBBM vows to combat crimes against children

PROTECTING CHILDREN. An emotional President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. calls for more aggressive and collective efforts to protect children from online sexual abuse and exploitation during the “Iisang Nasyon, Iisang Aksyon: Tapusin ang Online Sexual Abuse or Exploitation of Children Ngayon Summit 2024” in Makati City on Monday (Sept. 16, 2024). (Photo courtesy of PCO)

By Brian Campued

President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Monday urged the government and the public to unite in addressing the prevalence of Online Sexual Abuse or Exploitation of Children (OSAEC)—which made the Philippines the “epicenter” of such heinous crimes in the world.

Speaking at the “Iisang Nasyon, Iisang Aksyon: Tapusin ang OSAEC Ngayon Summit 2024” in Makati City, a visibly emotional President admitted that he “could not help but shed a tear” after listening to a young woman who suffered from sexual abuse and exploitation.

“To think how many other children are even—as we’re here, sitting in this fancy hotel room, eating our fancy food—continuing to suffer the same fate as she has,” Marcos said.

“And for us to allow this to happen in our country brings to me an overwhelming sense of shame because being in government, being in public service, we are not doing enough. We must do more,” he added.

According to the Chief Executive, at least half a million Filipinos had been victimized.

He also pointed out the “sad reality” that many perpetrators of sexual abuse and exploitation of children are the victims’ own families or relatives.

“It is an appalling statistic. We cannot allow this to continue. We will not allow it to continue,” he stressed.

Records from the Philippine National Police (PNP) showed that about 1,099 victims were rescued from 237 operations, 138 suspects were arrested, 139 cases were filed, and 41 perpetrators were convicted.

“If that is the number of the children that we have saved, I cannot help but think how many are still left out there. That is a minority. That is not the majority of the victims, that is not the majority of these perpetrators. That is the minority,” the President said.

Among the initiatives the government had taken against OSAEC is the creation of the Presidential Office for Children Protection (POCP), which serves as the central body for the administration’s strategies to ensure protection of and support to children.

The POCP, according to Marcos, is a critical step in the country’s fight against OSAEC and against Child Sexual Abuse or Exploitaiton Materials (CSAEM) as “this is a battle that we must not lose and we will not lose.”

The Anti-OSAEC and Anti-CSAEM Act as well as the Expanded Anti-Trafficking in Persons Act of 2022 are also among the legislative strides the administration has taken in its “relentless pursuit” to bring the perpetrators to justice.

“What is the most important part of this work that we are trying to do here is to save the child, save that life. That should be always our primary consideration because life when taken away can never be returned,” the President emphasized.

Above all these efforts, Marcos ordered the concerned agencies to strengthen the country’s justice system and continue developing training programs to ensure that authorities are well-equipped to handle cases of OSAEC.

“I have said it before, I will say it again: this Administration will do everything—we will spare no effort—to combat these heinous crimes against our children,” he said.

The Chief Executive also called on the public to remain vigilant and report “even the slightest inkling of abuse” to #ReportOSAEC and Makabata Helpline 1383.

“I reiterate my message in the State of the Nation Address: let us not turn a blind eye to wrongdoings because passivity enables evil to perpetuate,” he said.

“Let us all make the Philippines the absolute worst place for those who abuse and exploit children,” he added.

Meanwhile, the President expressed his admiration for the victims and survivors of sexual abuse and exploitation—commending their “extraordinary courage” that motivates the government to follow the right direction and do better to protect the children.

“We cannot even begin to imagine the horrors that they faced. It’s not their burden to carry alone. The entire government is with you. We hold your hand and walk along the arduous path towards healing and recovery,” he said.

To his countrymen, Marcos has a call to action: “Let us build a world where justice and compassion prevail, and every child’s safety and dignity are upheld.”

“Dahil sa Bagong Pilipinas, inaaruga at pinoprotektahan natin ang ating mga anak; sa Bagong Pilipinas, binibigyan natin ng pag-asa ang mga biktima; sa Bagong Pilipinas, sinisigurado natin na may mananagot sa mga [nagkakasala],” he said. — iro

Popular

Myanmar’s junta chief to head to Bangkok summit as quake toll surpasses 3,000

By Agence France-Presse The head of Myanmar's junta is expected to travel to Bangkok on Thursday for a regional summit, as the death toll from...

PBBM reciprocates VP Sara’s gratitude on helping her mend ties with dad

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency “Glad I could help.” This was the response of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr., according to Palace Press...

Purchase of US fighter jets vital to boost PH defense – ES Bersamin

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin on Thursday, April 3, said the planned procurement of fighter jets from the...

Recto says use of PhilHealth funds to spare PH from new debts

By Benjamin Pulta | Philippine News Agency Finance Secretary Ralph Recto on Wednesday defended the transfer of idle and unused Philippine Health Insurance Corp. (PhilHealth)...