Western Visayas ranks 1st in anti-illegal drug operations

ILOILO CITY — Western Visayas ranked first among all regions in the country in terms of operations against illegal drugs during the second semester of 2017.

David Garcia, information officer of the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA), made the statement during a press conference for the ‘Rehabinasyon’ roadshow and town hall meeting held here Friday.

“For the first time in the history of PDEA-6, I think last year, second semester we ranked the first all throughout the Philippines in terms of operations,” Garcia said.

Data from PDEA in Western Visayas showed that from January to December last year, the anti-drug operations resulted to the confiscation of more than a kilo of methamphetamine hydrochloride or shabu with a street value estimated at PHP10.038 million.

In 2016, same period, the PDEA was able to confiscate 478.8888 grams of shabu valued at PHP4.788 million.

The region’s drug operations last year increased to 221 from only 20 in 2016 and 369 persons were arrested from 98 apprehensions during the preceding year.

Garcia also hoped that Iloilo City could move on from its “shabulized” and “bedrock of illegal drugs” tag by the end of the year.

He said that already three barangays in Iloilo City have been declared drug-free by the Regional Oversight Committee, which is also headed by the PDEA.

Five villages, he said, are still undergoing validation. (Perla Lena/PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...