Wife of Andok’s owner joins Leyte’s congressional bid

NEWCOMER. Neophyte Leyte 2nd district congressional candidate Karen Javier walks with Leyte Govenor Leopoldo Dominico Petilla to the Comission on Elections field office here on Wednesday (October 17, 2018). Javier is the wife of Javier, Leyte Mayor Leonardo Javier, the owner of Andok’s Corporation. (Photo by Sarwell Meniano)

TACLOBAN CITY — A new face from a familiar clan is joining the congressional race in Leyte’s 2nd district, challenging the incumbent who ruled central Leyte since 2016.

Karen Lolita Javier, 43, filed his Certificate of Candidacy Wednesday under the Partido Federal ng Pilipinas to represent the district in next year’s polls. She is the wife of Javier, Leyte Mayor Leonardo Javier, founder and owner of Andok’s Corporation which is famous for its roast chicken with hundreds of outlets nationwide.

Karen was accompanied by family members, Leyte Governor Leopoldo Dominico Petilla and several members of the influential Petilla clan, provincial board members, An Waray party-list officials, and mayors.

“I want to replicate development activities of Mayor Javier in his hometown in the past nine years. We will focus on livelihood programs for women and strengthen healthcare initiatives,” Karen told reporters.

Mayor Javier has close ties with local government leaders in Leyte being the former president of the municipal mayor’s league both in the national and provincial level. The official, who was instrumental in transforming his hometown, also provided immediate assistance to mayors after the 2013 super typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan).

Karen, who speaks the native dialect fluently, said she decided to join the congressional race in response to clamor of mayors from the district’s 14 towns.

She will challenge the re-election bid of incumbent Rep. Henry Ong, who joined politics in 2016. Ong is running under the ruling PDP-Laban Party.

Ong’s family owns the former Cherry Foodarama, which has been in the business since the early 1950s as one of the pioneers in the grocery business. In 2015, SM Investments Corporation acquired the business.

Some mayors who accompanied Ong’s filing of candidacy last week were also present at the Commission on Elections provincial office on Wednesday to show support to the political rookie.

“They supported Ong because they thought that I was not running. Now that I am officially a candidate, they’re here to support me,” said Karen, who used to be a print ad model in the 1990s.

Earlier, Ong said he’s ready to face whoever would run against his re-election bid. “The people will decide and I feel the people is on our side and they want me,” he said.

Meanwhile, incumbent Javier town Vice Mayor Michael Javier, will attempt to replace his father as mayor, after filing his COC on Tuesday.

The young Javier has been the town’s vice mayor since 2016. (Sarwell Meniano/PNA)

Popular

Can an arrest warrant be served to a suspect’s lawyer? NBI says no

By Brian Campued A warrant of arrest cannot be served to a suspect’s legal counsel, according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). In a press...

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...

DOJ tasks PNP, NBI to ‘effect the arrest’ of Bato

By Brian Campued “We’re pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved.” The Department of Justice (DOJ) has given the greenlight for law...

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...