World’s first wooden satellite launched into space

HISTORIC FIRST. This file photo taken on May 28, 2024 shows the world’s first satellite made from wood, named LignoSat, developed by scientists at Kyoto University and logging company Sumitomo Forestry, during a press conference in Kyoto. The world’s first wooden satellite has blasted off on a SpaceX rocket, its Japanese developers said on Nov. 5, 2024, part of an resupply mission to the International Space Station. (Photo by JIJI PRESS / AFP)

By Agence France-Presse

The world’s first wooden satellite has blasted off on a SpaceX rocket, its Japanese developers said Tuesday, part of a resupply mission to the International Space Station (ISS).

Scientists at Kyoto University expect the wooden material to burn up when the device re-enters the atmosphere—potentially providing a way to avoid generating metal particles when a retired satellite returns to Earth.

These particles may negatively impact both the environment and telecommunications, the developers say.

Each side of the box-like experimental satellite, named LignoSat, measures just 10 centimeters (four inches).

It was launched on an unmanned rocket from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida, Kyoto University’s Human Spaceology Center said.

The satellite, installed in a special container prepared by the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency, “flew into space safely,” it said in a post on X.

A spokesperson for LignoSat’s co-developer Sumitomo Forestry told AFP the launch had been “successful.”

It “will arrive at the ISS soon and will be released to outer space about a month later” to test its strength and durability, she said.

Data will be sent from the satellite to researchers who can check for signs of strain and determine if the satellite can withstand extreme changes in temperature.

“Satellites that are not made of metal should become mainstream,” Takao Doi, an astronaut and special professor at Kyoto University, said at a press conference earlier this year.

Popular

Myanmar quake victim rescued after 5 days as aid calls grow

By Agence France-Presse Rescuers on Wednesday, April 2, pulled a man alive from the rubble five days after Myanmar's devastating earthquake, as calls grew for...

Palace allays fears on ‘Taiwan invasion,’ but says contingencies ready

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Wednesday sought to allay public concerns over a potential invasion of Taiwan by China, but...

2nd batch of PH rescuers on its way to Myanmar

By Priam Nepomuceno | Philippine News Agency The Philippine Air Force (PAF) announced that the second batch of rescuers under the Philippine Inter-Agency Humanitarian Contingent...

Filipinos feared trapped in Myanmar condo still unaccounted for

By Joyce Anne Rocamora | Philippine News Agency The four Filipinos feared to be among those trapped in a collapsed condominium in quake-hit Myanmar remain...