Zambo schools ready for June 3 class opening

By Teofilo Garcia, Jr./Philippine News Agency

ZAMBOANGA CITY — All local public elementary and secondary schools are ready for the opening of classes on Monday amid a shortage of some 900 teachers.

Dr. Romy Felix Triambulo, City Schools Division superintendent, said Thursday this city is in need of some 934 teachers — 280 teachers for kindergarten to Grade 6; 542 for Junior High Schools; and 112 for Senior High Schools.

Triambulo said 223,922 students are expected to troop to public schools on June 3 based on the recorded early enrolment conducted from January until February this year.

Of the total figure, Triambulo said that 22,610 enrolled in kindergarten; 121,718, elementary (Grade 1 to 6); 67,916, Junior High School; and, 11,678, Senior High School.

He said the number of public school teachers totaled 7,732 only, and that the city would be needing 934 new teachers this year based on planning analysis.

He said a request for additional teachers last year was not granted by the central office of the Department of Education (DepEd).

Triambulo said he hopes his request for additional teachers would be granted this year.

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...