
By Joyce Ann L. Rocamora | Philippine News Agency
The Department of Health (DOH) said Saturday that at least 1.6 million patients have so far benefited from the Marcos administration’s zero balance billing program.
Latest data from the agency showed the government has shouldered hospital bills amounting to P95 billion from July 2025 to January 2026, under the initiative.
In a statement on Saturday, the DOH said it would continue pushing for the program’s expansion to include shared pay wards for direct contributors of the Philippine Health Insurance Corp. (PhilHealth), such as middle-class employees.
“Sa pagpapalakas ng zero balance billing, iniutos din ni Pangulong Bongbong Marcos Jr. na kailangang mas maramdaman pa ng middle-class workers ang benepisyo ng gobyerno,” it said.
“Sa kasalukuyan, ang mga shared pay ward ay hindi pa kasama sa zero balance billing.”
Beyond DOH facilities, the agency is preparing to implement the initiative in select local government unit hospitals.
Under the program, patients in DOH hospitals no longer have to pay for medical services, medicines, and the professional fees of doctors.
