No new suspected bird flu cases, says DOH

MANILA –The Department of Health (DOH) on Saturday said that no new cases of suspected bird flu infection were detected as the surveillance period ends Sunday.

“No new case. Basically (we can say that) after culling (period), bird flu-free na until (any) new case appears,” DOH Secretary Paulyn Ubial said.

The Department of Agriculture (DA) ended its culling of birds activities last Aug. 24.

During the culling period, all persons involved in the activities were included in the surveillance of DOH wherein their daily temperatures and symptoms of bird flu among humans were monitored like cough, fever, sore throat, muscle pain, among others.

Also, those who manifested symptoms were provided with prophylaxis while specimens of suspected cases were also tested in the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine (RITM) in Alabang, Muntinlupa City.

So far, all of the 39 suspected cases among humans were all found to be negative from the virus.

The suspected cases were considered “exposed” to the secretions of infected birds that were culled since the secretions can enter accidentally in the eyes and mouth during the culling and handling.

As part of the precautionary measures, the DOH provided personal protective equipment (PPE) and prophylaxis (oseltamivir) while trained health workers helped in the surveillance.

To help allay fears, the agency also endorsed the consumption of poultry products and  proper information about bird flu transmission among humans for better understanding of the public. (PNA)

Popular

Purchase of US fighter jets vital to boost PH defense – ES Bersamin

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin on Thursday, April 3, said the planned procurement of fighter jets from the...

Recto says use of PhilHealth funds to spare PH from new debts

By Benjamin Pulta | Philippine News Agency Finance Secretary Ralph Recto on Wednesday defended the transfer of idle and unused Philippine Health Insurance Corp. (PhilHealth)...

Russian vlogger harassing Filipinos nabbed

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Authorities arrested a Russian-American vlogger who was accused of harassing Filipinos apparently for social media content. Philippine National...

Myanmar quake victim rescued after 5 days as aid calls grow

By Agence France-Presse Rescuers on Wednesday, April 2, pulled a man alive from the rubble five days after Myanmar's devastating earthquake, as calls grew for...