VP Sara favors cellphone ban for learners, ‘with exceptions’

INDEPENDENCE DAY CELEBRATION IN DAVAO. Vice President Sara Z. Duterte arrives at Rizal Park in Davao City to lead the wreath-laying ceremony for the celebration of the country’s 126th Independence Day on Wednesday (June 12, 2024). Duterte called on Filipinos to reflect on the courage and patriotism of their ancestors, who fought for the country’s freedom from foreign oppression. (PNA photo by Robinson Niñal Jr.)

By Che Palicte | Philippine News Agency

Vice President and concurrent Education Secretary Sara Duterte said she agrees with a Senate bill seeking to prohibit the use of mobile devices and electronic gadgets in schools during class hours.

VP Duterte, however, said regulations should allow for exceptions, such as when gadget use becomes necessary, such as for learning, teaching, or emergency reasons.

“We’re okay with the banning of gadgets for personal use, (but) subject to exceptions. I understand and have read the draft that there are exceptions, particularly if the gadget is used for learning and teaching,” she said on the sidelines of the celebration of the 126th Independence Day here on Wednesday.

Earlier this week, Sen. Sherwin Gatchalian filed a bill seeking to prohibit the use of mobile devices and electronic gadgets in schools during class hours.

Duterte said guidelines can be established in such a way that the ban does not hinder a learner’s access to school lessons or during emergency cases.

Senate Bill No. 2706, or the Electronic Gadget-Free Schools Act, mandates the Department of Education to establish guidelines for the prohibition, which covers learners from kindergarten to senior high school in both public and private institutions, including teachers.

While acknowledging the potential of the devices for learning and teaching, Gatchalian emphasized its negative impact on academic performance, especially among basic education learners, and the prevalence of cyberbullying.

He cited an analysis from the Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) 2022, which indicates that eight in 10 learners aged 15 reported being distracted by smartphone use during class.

Popular

Purchase of US fighter jets vital to boost PH defense – ES Bersamin

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin on Thursday, April 3, said the planned procurement of fighter jets from the...

Recto says use of PhilHealth funds to spare PH from new debts

By Benjamin Pulta | Philippine News Agency Finance Secretary Ralph Recto on Wednesday defended the transfer of idle and unused Philippine Health Insurance Corp. (PhilHealth)...

Russian vlogger harassing Filipinos nabbed

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Authorities arrested a Russian-American vlogger who was accused of harassing Filipinos apparently for social media content. Philippine National...

Myanmar quake victim rescued after 5 days as aid calls grow

By Agence France-Presse Rescuers on Wednesday, April 2, pulled a man alive from the rubble five days after Myanmar's devastating earthquake, as calls grew for...