10 killed, 12 wounded in IS attack in eastern Iraq

Xinhua News Agency

BAGHDAD – Up to 10 civilians were killed and 12 others wounded on Tuesday (Oct. 26) in an attack by militants of the extremist Islamic State (IS) group in Iraq’s eastern province of Diyala, a provincial police source said.

“The latest report said ten people were killed and 12 wounded in IS attack in the al-Rashad village,” Alaa al-Saadi from the provincial police told Xinhua.

In an earlier report, al-Saadi said that the attack took place in the evening when IS militants opened fire, from sniper rifles, on a group of civilians in the village of al-Rashad, some 110 km northeast of Iraq’s capital Baghdad.

Iraqi security forces rushed to the scene and launched a search campaign in the area, looking for the attackers, he said.

During the past months, IS militants have intensified their attacks on Iraqi security forces in the provinces the militants previously controlled, leaving dozens dead and wounded.

The security situation in Iraq has been improving since the Iraqi forces defeated IS in 2017. However, IS remnants have since melted into urban centers, deserts, and rugged areas, carrying out frequent guerilla attacks against security forces and civilians. (Xinhua) – bny

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...