100-K jobs returning to labor market with Alert Level 2 in NCR

By Kris Crismundo | Philippine News Agency

MANILA – With the further lowering of the alert level in the National Capital Region (NCR), Trade Secretary Ramon Lopez said some 100,000 jobs are expected to return to the labor market.

In a Palace briefing on Monday (Nov. 8), Lopez said around 1.8 million jobs were affected since the NCR was reverted to the most stringent community quarantine status in early July due to threats of the Delta variant of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).

“Based on our estimates, around 100,000 jobs have not yet returned before Level 2. We expect these jobs to return as we are now in Alert Level 2,” he said in mixed English and Filipino.

Metro Manila was initially placed under Alert Level 3 until Nov. 14.

It was put under Alert Level 2 last Friday (Nov. 5) as COVID-19 cases continued to go down last week.

READ MORE: Metro Manila under Alert Level 2 starting November 5

Lopez called on Filipinos to continue practicing the minimum health protocols like wearing face masks, washing and sanitizing hands, and maintaining physical distancing.

As there are proposals to make the wearing of face shields non-mandatory, Lopez urged Filipinos to wear something that will protect the eyes to avoid contracting COVID-19.

Observing the public health standards will also prevent another surge in COVID-19 cases and the Alert Level 2 can be maintained until next year, he said.

The trade chief said as daily cases go down to hundreds, Alert Level 1 may be expected, which means more economic activities and jobs will be allowed to return. (PNA) – bny

Popular

Binondo drum murder ‘mastermind’ a Chinese nat’l —Taiwan office in PH

By Brian Campued The alleged mastermind in the so-called Binondo drum murder is a Chinese national, the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in the Philippines...

Public warned vs. ash fall as Kanlaon erupts anew

By Brian Campued Authorities advised residents in Negros Oriental and Negros Occidental to be cautious of possible ashfall emitted by Kanlaon Volcano after it erupted...

PBBM focused on governance, no plans yet for 2028 polls —Palace

By Brian Campued President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. remains unfazed amid Vice President Sara Duterte’s announcement to run for president in 2028, Malacañang said, noting...

PH official maps, charts show maritime jurisdiction in WPS —NAMRIA

By Marita Moaje | Philippine News Agency The National Mapping and Resource Information Authority (NAMRIA) has clarified the roles of official Philippine maps and the...