10,500 join walk against drugs in Bacolod City

BACOLOD CITY — About 10,500 participants from various sectors joined the walk against illegal drugs organized by the Community Anti-Drug Coalition of Bacolod (CADCoB) in this city Friday morning.

The fund-raising activity, dubbed “Lakad Iwas Droga”: The CADCoB Walk for a Cause 2018, was joined by students and teachers from public schools, government employees, policemen, force multipliers, girl scouts, boy scouts, and members of socio-civic groups, among others.

The walk began around 6:30 a.m. from two starting points and ended at the Bacolod public plaza.

CADCoB coordinator Richard Nessia said 3,500 participants walked from the assembly point at the Sacred Heart Shrine while 7,000 marched from the Provincial Capitol Lagoon.

Nessia said they have yet to finalize the total amount raised during the activity.

The program at the plaza was attended by Brandon Hudspeth, director of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs of the United States Embassy in Manila, as guest of honor.

Vice Mayor El Cid Familiaran, Councilor Noli Villarosa of the Association of Barangay Captains, Bacolod police officer-in-charge Francisco Ebreo, and CADCoB chairman Rey Jereos were also present.

Nessia said they aim to raise the consciousness of Bacolodnons on the harmful effects of drugs and make them advocates of drug prevention.

The funds raised will finance the programs of CABCoB such as training for the youth and drug surrenderers, and installing streetlights in areas identified as “hotbed” of drug trade.

In March last year, CADCoB organized the first “Lakad Iwas Droga” in Bacolod which had about 5,000 participants. (Nanette Guadalquiver/PNA)

Popular

DOJ tasks PNP, NBI to ‘effect the arrest’ of Bato

By Brian Campued “We’re pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved.” The Department of Justice (DOJ) has given the greenlight for law...

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...