132 loose firearms to be turned-over to military in Sulu

JOLO, Sulu – A total of 132 loose firearms, including mortars and other high-powered weapons, will be turned over to the military here on Tuesday.

Brig. Gen. Cirilito Sobejana, commander of the Joint Task Force Sulu, told Philippine News Agency the turnover of unlicensed weapons are part of the military campaign to make this island province a “gun-free society.”

“This is part of our mandate under the Martial Law to make Sulu to be free from loose firearms,” he said.

The 132 illegal firearms are on top of the 271 firearms that the military recovered and surrendered to them.

Sobejana said the firearms that will be turned over on Tuesday came from the municipalities of Parang, Pangutaran, Omar, and Talipao.

The military under the leadership of Sobejana met last month with all the mayors of the 19 towns and 410 village heads to pressure them to address the problems on loose firearms in their communities.

Last month, the Mayor of Pata Island has turned over 34 firearms.

The military has been mounting its operations against terror groups and other lawless groups.

Sobejana said one of the key solutions to address the armed conflict in the island is to reduce if not totally free the stand from loose firearms. (Darwin Wally Wee/PNA)

Popular

DBM releases P27.4B for continued medical aid to indigent Filipinos

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) announced Friday the release of around P27.4 billion to continue...

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...

Malacañang bares 39 Metro Manila sites eyed for floodwater storage, retention projects

By Brian Campued As part of the government’s various initiatives to address perennial flooding in Metro Manila, a total of 39 sites across the capital...

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...