14 Pinoys near conflict area in Tripoli ‘all safe’: envoy

By Joyce Ann L. Rocamora | Philippine News Agency

MANILA — The group of Filipino engineers residing near the conflict zone in Libya and who have been incommunicado for the past few days, are all safe and accounted for, a ranking official of the Philippine Embassy in Tripoli reported Thursday.

“After several days of trying, the Philippine Embassy in Libya was finally able to reestablish contact this afternoon with a group of Filipino engineers in a compound outside Tripoli near where heavy fighting has been taking place in past two months. All are safe and accounted for,” Chargé d’ Affaires Elmer Cato said.

The 14 were among the 40 Filipinos in areas where fierce fighting continued to take place. On Tuesday, Cato wrote that the Embassy has lost contact with them.

Cato said the compound was struck by artillery rounds last week that left several foreign workers wounded.

“We have been telling them we are not forcibly repatriating them but just asking them to move to a safer location because they are at grave risk where they presently are,” he told the Philippine News Agency (PNA).

At present, there are around 1,000 Filipinos still in Tripoli. As of May 30, a total of 70 have been repatriated since intense fighting broke out between forces of the UN-backed government in Libya and the Libyan National Army led by Khalifa Haftar

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...