1st presidential debate will run for 3 hrs: Comelec

By Ferdinand Patinio | Philippine News Agency

 

MANILA – The Commission on Elections (Comelec) on Saturday (March 5) announced the first presidential debates scheduled this month will be a three-hour event.

“The 3-hour debates will follow a single-moderator format, with no live audience,” Comelec spokesperson James Jimenez said in a statement.

“Draw lots will determine to whom the first question will go. Succeeding questions, however, will be answered by the candidates in their alphabetical order,” he added.

The first debate will be held on March 19 while the second debate is set for April 3.

A vice-presidential debate is scheduled for March 20.

No announcement yet as to the venues where the events will be held.

“Each debate is anchored on a set of predetermined topics on pressing concerns of the country, such as pandemic and the economy, and the pool of questions will come from the concerned sector groups,” Jimenez added.

Meanwhile, Comelec and Vote Pilipinas are set to formalize the agreement to stage the Pilipinas Debates 2022.

According to Jimenez, the signing ceremony will be held on March 7 at the Sofitel Hotel, Pasay City.

“We are very excited to have the agreement signed so we can finally share the details and mechanics of this much-awaited Comelec-organized debates,” he said.

“This is a high-stakes event that the voting public has been fervently looking forward to, so we expect all candidates to be on deck and ready to demonstrate why they deserve our vote,” Jimenez added.

He said there is a unique component of the Pilipinas Debates 2022 which is the back-to-back town hall debates, which will have both remote and in-person audiences, and a post-debate roundtable.

The presidential and vice-presidential town hall debates will be held on April 23 and 24, respectively. Both will follow a double-moderator format.

“Vote Pilipinas, the Comelec’s partner for voter education and information, has previously demonstrated its capability to mount successful campaign drives during the voter registration period. We are confident of their readiness and capacity to help ensure the success of this elections’ debates series,” Jimenez said.

The organizers, among all other logistical and administrative tasks, are going to work closely to undertake a rigorous selection process for the moderators and to exercise the utmost confidentiality in sourcing debate questions from the different sector groups. (PNA)

-ag

 

Popular

Student Beep card with 50% discount available starting Sept. 1 —DOTr

By Brian Campued The Department of Transportation (DOTr) is set to roll out white and personalized Beep cards to make commuting more convenient and more...

Palace: China cannot stop PH from asserting its territorial rights

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Friday reiterated that the Philippines will not be deterred in its efforts to defend its territorial and maritime interests in...

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...

DepEd launches ‘EduKahon’ kits to ensure learning continuity in calamity-hit schools

By Brian Campued In line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to strengthen the education sector’s preparedness during disasters, the Department of Education (DepEd)...