2 SoCot towns post improved nutrition status

GENERAL SANTOS CITY — Two municipalities in South Cotabato province have “graduated” from the list of top localities in Region 12 with noted high prevalence of malnutrition.

Arceli Latonio, coordinator of the National Nutrition Council (NNC) in Region 12, said Wednesday the towns of Lake Sebu and Tboli are no longer included in the top 10 areas in terms of malnutrition cases based on their assessment as of the end of 2017.

She specifically cited the results of the 2017 Operation Timbang (OPT), which saw vastly improved ratings for the two municipalities.

“They were able to significantly bring down the number of underweight children last year and we’re hoping that they would be able to sustain it this year,” she said.

Latonio credited the accomplishment to the efforts of the provincial government, in coordination with the two municipal governments, in promoting proper nutrition among children.

In 2016, Lake Sebu and Tboli ranked sixth and 10th, respectively, among local government units in the region in terms of the prevalence of underweight and severely underweight children.

Also known as Soccsksargen, Region 12 covers the provinces of South Cotabato, Sultan Kudarat, Sarangani and North Cotabato, and the cities of General Santos, Koronadal, Tacurong, Kidapawan and Cotabato.

But Latonio said South Cotabato is among the three provinces on Region 12 that were included in the NNC’s 36 focal areas for nutrition based on the prevalence of stunting among children.

“During a meeting last year, South Cotabato officials expressed eagerness to strengthen innovations on their nutrition programs to address the issue,” she said.

Stunting is a chronic disease that is caused by poor nutrition during the first two years of life and is considered irreversible unlike under-nutrition.

Through the national government’s nutrition plan of action, Latonio said local government units are mandated to intensify program mobilizations in the affected areas to address the problem.

She added that they are currently assisting the provincial government in terms of the expansion and improvement of its nutrition programs to enhance their implementation.(AC/PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...