20 dead, 14 missing due to ‘habagat’, 2 cyclones—NDRRMC

BAD WEATHER. Satellite model of DOST-PAGASA showing Tropical Depression Gener’s approximate location as it exited the Philippine Area of Responsibility early Wednesday morning (Sept. 18, 2024). The combined effects of Gener, Tropical Storm Ferdie, and the enhanced southwest monsoon (habagat) have resulted in at least 20 deaths, 14 missing, and 11 injuries across the country. (Photo courtesy of DOST-PAGASA)

By Brian Campued

The death toll from inclement weather brought by tropical cyclones Ferdie and Gener and the enhanced southwest monsoon (habagat) has risen to 20, according to the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC).

In its situational report issued at 8:00 a.m. on Wednesday, the NDRRMC said nine of these fatalities came from Mimaropa, four each from Western Visayas and the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM), two from Zamboanga Peninsula, and one from Central Visayas.

Additionally, at least 14 were reported missing—12 in Mimaropa and one each in Western Visayas and Zamboanga Peninsula.

Around 11 injuries are also recorded in BARMM with six, Mimaropa with three, and Soccsksargen with two.

All of these casualties, however, are still undergoing validation, the disaster body said.

Meanwhile, the bad weather has affected 156,524 families or about 597,870 individuals across 1,178 barangays Cagayan Valley, Mimaropa, Bicol, Western Visayas, Central Visayas, Zamboanga Peninsula, Northern Mindanao, Davao, Soccsksargen, Caraga, BARMM, and the Cordillera Administrative Region.

A total of 16,926 families or 62,995 persons are currently in 618 evacuation centers, while 8,592 families or around 34,265 individuals are outside the centers.

According to the NDRRMC, at least 930 houses were either totally or partially damaged in the affected areas, while 29 infrastructures were also reported damaged.

Meanwhile, at least P28,959,102.78 worth of humanitarian assistance were so far distributed by the Department of Social Welfare and Development’s Disaster Response Operations Management, Information and Communication (DSWD-DROMIC).

In its progress report as of 6:00 a.m. Wednesday, the DSWD-DROMIC said that they still have more than P2.8 billion as available relief resources.

Tropical Depression Gener exited the Philippine Area of Responsibility (PAR) on Wednesday morning, while Tropical Storm Ferdie left the PAR on Sept. 14. — avds

Popular

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...

DepEd launches ‘EduKahon’ kits to ensure learning continuity in calamity-hit schools

By Brian Campued In line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to strengthen the education sector’s preparedness during disasters, the Department of Education (DepEd)...

Torre says he has no ill feelings towards PBBM, DILG chief following relief 

By Brian Campued “Look at me straight in the eye, do I look like somebody who is bitter?” This was the response of former Philippine National...

PBBM to visit Cambodia, attend UN General Assembly

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. will embark on a state visit to Cambodia and later attend the...