21 deaths, almost 6K dengue cases recorded in Calabarzon

By Saul Pa-a/PNA

MOSQUITOS BEWARE. DOH-Calabarzon Regional Dengue Prevention and Control Program Coordinator Jomell V. Mojica (right) supervises the training of sanitary inspectors during the four-day “Training on the Insecticide Application and Introduction of Dengue Indoor and Outdoor Residual Spraying for Sanitary Inspectors and Spraymen” at the Lima Park Hotel, Malvar, Batangas from March 26-29, 2019. (Photo courtesy of DOH4A-MRCU)

CALAMBA CITY, Laguna — A total of 5,910 cases of dengue fever, leading to 21 fatalities, were recorded in the Calabarzon Region (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal and Quezon) from Jan. 1 to March 23 this year, the Regional Surveillance and Epidemiology Unit (RESU) reported.

Glen S. Ramos from the Department of Health (DOH) Calabarzon-Media Relations and Communications Unit (MRCU), disclosed to PNA on Wednesday that RESU assessment found this year’s number of cases to be lower compared to the same period last year when 5,925 dengue cases were logged.

Ramos said the dengue-infected patients have a wide age range, from one month-old to centenarians, while a slight majority of those infected, 3,143 or 53 percent, are males.

Ramos said Cavite province recorded the highest number of dengue cases with 1,880 followed by Batangas with 1,332; Laguna-1,183; Quezon-829; and Rizal with 686 cases.

Top cities and municipalities with the most number of dengue cases are Dasmariñas City – 355; Lipa City – 295; Batangas City – 277; Bacoor City – 275; Calamba City – 255; Imus City – 224; Lopez – 219; San Pablo City – 208; Tanauan City – 181; and General Trias City -176.

Popular

Myanmar quake victim rescued after 5 days as aid calls grow

By Agence France-Presse Rescuers on Wednesday, April 2, pulled a man alive from the rubble five days after Myanmar's devastating earthquake, as calls grew for...

Palace allays fears on ‘Taiwan invasion,’ but says contingencies ready

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Wednesday sought to allay public concerns over a potential invasion of Taiwan by China, but...

2nd batch of PH rescuers on its way to Myanmar

By Priam Nepomuceno | Philippine News Agency The Philippine Air Force (PAF) announced that the second batch of rescuers under the Philippine Inter-Agency Humanitarian Contingent...

Filipinos feared trapped in Myanmar condo still unaccounted for

By Joyce Anne Rocamora | Philippine News Agency The four Filipinos feared to be among those trapped in a collapsed condominium in quake-hit Myanmar remain...