29 killed, 38 missing in building collapse in SW Iran

Xinhua News Agency

 

TEHRAN – The death toll in a 10-storey commercial building collapse in southwestern Iranian city of Abadan rose to 29, while a total of 38 people have been reported missing, semi-official Tasnim news agency quoted a top provincial official as saying on Sunday.

Khuzestan Province’s Governor Sadeq Khalilian told reporters on the sidelines of a visit to the site of the incident that 29 bodies have been recovered from the debris so far, of which three are unidentified.

He said the rescue work is still underway to find the rest of the trapped bodies, assuring that the operations will continue until the last casualty is evacuated.

The exact number of the people trapped under the rubble is still unknown as the search operation has been going slowly and carefully for fear of the remaining parts of the building and adjacent structures falling down.

Iran announced a day of national mourning on Sunday to honor the victims of the 10-storey building’s partial collapse.

The Mizan news agency of the Iranian judiciary reported that 10 people were arrested for the incident, in which the building’s owner and contractor were killed.

The under-construction building, known as Metropol, was on a crowded street in downtown Abadan, surrounded by commercial and medical complexes and offices. Parts of the building collapsed suddenly on Monday, trapping dozens of people beneath the rubble. (Xinhua)

– ag

 

Popular

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...

Updated cash aid, transport support discussed during 7th UPLIFT Committee meeting led by PBBM

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous whole-of-government efforts to protect Filipinos from the impact of Middle East tensions on energy, transport, and food...

PBBM earns praise for role as ‘peacemaker’ in PH, Thailand, and Cambodia talks

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Not long after decades of tension between Thailand and Cambodia boiled over in 2025 and resulted in months of trading gunfire...