3 ‘exhausted’ BIFF members yield in NoCot

By Edwin Fernandez / Philippine News Agency

Tired of fighting for a futile cause, three members of the outlawed Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) operating in North Cotabato have peacefully yielded to officials in Midsayap, the military said Thursday (Nov. 11).

Col. Joven Gonzales, Philippine Army 602nd Brigade commander, said alias ‘Tongi’ and his two comrades, also identified only through their aliases ‘Shocks’ and ‘Marco,’ surrendered at their headquarters in Bgy. Salunayan on Wednesday afternoon.

“The trio also turned in two Barret sniper rifles and a 60 mm mortar launching pad,” Gonzales said.

He said the surrenderers all looked very exhausted and were yearning to see their families again soonest.

In a phone patch interview with reporters, Tongi said they will never go back to being rebels again. “Gusto na naming mamuhay ng mapayapa kasama ang aming pamilya at mahal sa buhay,” he said.

Gonzales said Lt. Col. Edgardo Vilchez Jr., the Army’s 34th Infantry Battalion commander, initiated the negotiation for the trio’s surrender.

Both Gonzales and Vilchez presented the surrenderers to Midsayap Mayor Romeo Araña also on Wednesday.

The mayor vowed to facilitate the three former rebels’ reintegration into mainstream society.

Araña said he is also currently coordinating with officials of the Bangsamoro Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM) to provide livelihood assistance to former Moro combatants such as BIFF members who have opted to surrender peacefully.

The mayor and the two military officials also lauded the participation of local Moro Islamic Liberation Front field commander Abdullah Dats in convincing the surrendering BIFF combatants to start normal lives anew.

More than 100 BIFF fighters have surrendered to the Army’s 6th Infantry Division since September last year. (PNA) – jlo

Popular

Palace slams attempt against NegOr contractor, vows to dismantle espionage networks

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Amid consecutive developments arising from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s revelation of ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood control projects in his 4th...

Student Beep card with 50% discount available starting Sept. 1 —DOTr

By Brian Campued The Department of Transportation (DOTr) is set to roll out white and personalized Beep cards to make commuting more convenient and more...

Palace: China cannot stop PH from asserting its territorial rights

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Friday reiterated that the Philippines will not be deterred in its efforts to defend its territorial and maritime interests in...

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...