3 expats, 1 ROF from South Africa isolated in NegOcc

By Nanette Guadalquiver / Philippine News Agency

BACOLOD CITY – Three expatriates and a Filipino, who recently arrived in Negros Occidental from South Africa, will undergo swab tests for coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) on Wednesday (Dec. 1).

Governor Eugenio Jose Lacson said the four arrived in the country before travelers from African countries were banned in the Philippines starting Nov. 28 to prevent the entry of the new COVID-19 variant, Omicron.

“They were accepted by the Bureau of Quarantine (BOQ) because last week, South Africa was still a ‘green’ list country,” Lacson said.

The three foreigners work as consultants for a power firm operating the two solar power plants in Negros Occidental while the returning overseas Filipino (ROF), who passed through Bacolod, is from Pontevedra town.

Provincial Administrator Rayfrando Diaz II said the four are all fully vaccinated and they are hoping their tests will yield negative results.

“They are now isolated and are being tested today. We hope for the best that no one will be infected,” he added.

Diaz said the two expatriates arrived in Negros Occidental on Nov. 25 while the other one, on Nov. 26.

The three foreign consultants are now undergoing 14-day quarantine in rented houses in two localities.

“They have been locked down. Their places have been cordoned off. Since they can’t go out, the company is providing for their needs,” Diaz said.

He added that seven more Negrenses, who recently returned to the country from South Africa, are being monitored by the BOQ in the National Capital Region.

They have yet to apply for a Safe, Swift, and Smart Passage (S-PaSS) travel coordination permit for their return to the province.

Travelers from seven nations in Africa have been temporarily prohibited from entering the country from Nov. 28 to Dec. 15 after the recent directive from the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases.

These countries include South Africa, Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Lesotho, Eswatini, and Mozambique, which are on the red list or areas considered as “high-risk” for COVID-19.

Previously, South Africa, Namibia, and Zimbabwe were on the “green” list or those classified as “low-risk countries. (PNA) – bny

Popular

Filipino astrophysics students’ ‘Double Gyroscope’ experiment performed by NASA astronaut in space

By Brian Campued An experiment designed by Filipino students was recently carried out by a National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) astronaut aboard the International...

Can an arrest warrant be served to a suspect’s lawyer? NBI says no

By Brian Campued A warrant of arrest cannot be served to a suspect’s legal counsel, according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). In a press...

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...

DOJ tasks PNP, NBI to ‘effect the arrest’ of Bato

By Brian Campued “We’re pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved.” The Department of Justice (DOJ) has given the greenlight for law...