4.5-K Albay youths get wages under DOLE employment program

By Connie Calipay | Philippine News Agency

LEGAZPI CITY – A total of 4,531 students and out-of-school youths (OSYs) in Albay received their salaries after working in government offices under the Special Program for the Employment of Students (SPES) of the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE).

Emma P. Acuña, a DOLE-Bicol regional employment focal person, told the Philippine News Agency on Wednesday (Feb. 23): “Each beneficiary receives a total of P10,500 in exchange for 20 working days. Albay provincial government paid the initial 60% of the salary amounting to P6,300 while the remaining 40% amounting to P4,200 was shouldered by the DOLE.”

She said the students rendered service from October to November last year.

Acuña noted that the agency allocated a P11.9-million budget for the region’s SPES program in 2021 and P15 million this 2022.

She also said there are 2,694 slots for new applicants for the SPES this year.

The SPES is an annual program of DOLE for the employment of marginalized but deserving students, out-of-school youth, and displaced workers during summer and Christmas vacations.

It also helps to augment the family’s income and ensure that beneficiaries can pursue their education. (With a report from Bernadine Carretas/PNA-OJT) – bny

Popular

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...