More than 40 killed in Kenya dam collapse

Members of the National Youth Service carry away a dead body covered in a blanket during the early hours of May 10, 2018 near Solai, in Kenya’s Rift Valley. (Photo Courtesy of AP)

At least 40 people were killed when a dam in Kenya’s Rift Valley burst late Wednesday following days of heavy rains.

Water swept away numerous homes, farms and businesses after breaking through the Patel Dam in Solai, about 180 kilometers northwest of Nairobi.

A child walks in his house, which was partly destroyed by flooding water after a dam burst, in Solio town near Nakuru, Kenya May 10, 2018. (Photo Courtesy of Reuters)

A witness, Ian Ndegwa, told VOA’s Swahili service casualties may be higher than reported. “There are a lot of people still unaccounted for,” he said.

He added that police, soldiers and construction crews are in the area, helping to clear roads and look for missing people.

Ndegwa said he thinks the dam could not handle the recent rains.

People gather in front of the broken banks of the Patel dam near Solai, in Kenya’s Rift Valley, May 10, 2018. (Photo Courtesy of AP)

“The embankments were not strong enough, so it broke and we have a big gap in the wall that allowed the water to flow through,” he said.

The Rift Valley has seen heavy rains during the past two months, causing floods and mudslides that had already killed more than 130 people.

The Kenyan government said Wednesday the rains had displaced 220,000 people. | via Voice of America

 

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...