5 troops hurt in series of clashes in Cagayan

MANILA — Five soldiers were wounded while an undetermined number of communist rebels were killed and wounded following a series of skirmishes in Cagayan province Thursday morning.

Northern Luzon Command (Nolcom) spokesperson, Lt. Col. Isagani Nato, said troops of the 17th Infantry Battalion under Joint Task Force “Tala” were patrolling Sitio Mureg, Barangay Balani, Sto Niño town when they encountered about 30 members of the New People’s Army (NPA) under the command of one “Bladdy”, triggering a 20-minute gun-battle, at about 10:36 a.m.

Nato said the rebels quickly fled and were cornered in an adjacent area at about 11:40 a.m., starting another 10-minute clash.

In the encounter, the rebels retreated after sustaining an undetermined number of casualties.

Pursuit operations are still ongoing, Nato said. (Priam Nepomuceno/PNA)

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...