547K visited Pangasinan’s Hundred Islands in 2018

By Hilda Austria/PNA

Tourists’ first travel-goal this 2019 is Hundred Islands National Park in Alaminos City Pangasinan. (Photo courtesy of Mayor Arthur Celeste’s official Facebook page)

ALAMINOS CITY, Pangasinan — A total of 547,412 tourists visited the famous Hundred Islands National Park (HINP) here from January 1 to December 31 last year, resulting in PHP43.19 million in income for the city.

In an interview Thursday, City Tourism Officer Miguel Sison admitted that the tourist arrivals in 2018 declined by 2.6 percent compared to the recorded tourist arrivals of 561,909 in 2017.

“The decline was caused by the weather disturbances, not just in the province, but all over the country, wherein during those times, we needed to close the islands from tourists, especially during typhoons, or if the gale warning was up,” Sison said.

Pangasinan was hit by several typhoons that caused flooding last year starting July, while the HINP was only accessible through boats from the Lucap Wharf at the city proper.

“We were only able to pick-up again last December. We are glad we still exceeded last year’s income amounting to PHP41.05 million,” Sison said.

The city began implementing discounts to bona fide Pangasinenses last December 8 and will continue until the last week of May this year to encourage local tourism.

“The HINP’s income would have been higher if there was no promotion,” he added.

Sison further said the HINP has had a “good start” this year, as some 3,564 tourists visited the islands on January 1 and some 2,847 tourists on January 2, while a cruise ship is set to arrive this January.

“We hope to add more staff in preparation for the Holy Week and the summer season, which is the peak season at HINP,” he said.

Meanwhile, another hotel will be constructed at the Lucap Wharf this year to accommodate more tourists who would stay overnight.

Popular

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...

Malacañang bares 39 Metro Manila sites eyed for floodwater storage, retention projects

By Brian Campued As part of the government’s various initiatives to address perennial flooding in Metro Manila, a total of 39 sites across the capital...

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...