Over 600 residents flee as troops, NPA rebels clash in SoCot

GENERAL SANTOS CITY — Around 650 residents from three remote communities in T’boli, South Cotabato have evacuated following an encounter on Tuesday between government troops and suspected New People’s Army (NPA) rebels.

Chief Insp. Ramil Villagracia, chief of the T’boli municipal police station, said Wednesday the residents of Sitios Lemteneneg, El Lubog and Blangas in Barangay Kematu decided to leave their homes for fear of getting caught in the crossfire.

Citing a report from the Army’s 27th Infantry Battalion (IB), Villagracia said troops clashed with some 50 armed rebels past 11 a.m. in Sitio Lemteneneg.

He said the firefight, which lasted for about 40 minutes, ensued after patrolling soldiers and militiamen caught up with the rebels in the area.

“It appeared that the rebels had been there for quite some time and even established a small base,” he said in a radio interview.

Villagracia said the rebels eventually withdrew towards the eastern part of T’boli, abandoning some of their food supplies, uniforms and ammunition.

He said clearing and pursuit operations are still ongoing in the upland areas of Kematu and neighboring villages.

As of Wednesday morning, the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (PDRRMO) said a total of 138 households or 657 individuals have evacuated to the center of Barangay Kematu.

Milagros Lorca, the PDRRMO head, said the evacuees were taking temporary shelter at the Kematu Elementary School.

“We provided them with immediate assistance to facilitate their convenience and comfort as well as protect their welfare,” Lorca said.

Lorca said they are assessing the possible return of the evacuees within the day to Sitios Blangas and El Lubog as these areas were not directly affected by the conflict.

She said the evacuees will undergo psycho-social stress debriefing and medical checkup before they return home. But the official said those from Sitio Lemteneneg will remain at the evacuation center until the area is cleared by the military. (PNA)

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...