Suspect in 2007 Kidapawan City bombing nabbed

(Photo courtesy of Kidapawan City Police Office)

KIDAPAWAN CITY — A man believed to be behind the bombing here in 2007 was arrested by police and military personnel in Pigcawayan, North Cotabato.

Supt. Bernard Tayong, North Cotabato police spokesman, identified the arrested person as Abdulgani Mantil, 48, who attempted to break through a police-military checkpoint in Barangay South Manuangan, Pigcawayan, North Cotabato past 4 p.m. Monday.

Mantil, who has several warrants of arrest for murder, frustrated murder and frustrated multiple murders, was driving a white car without license plates when flagged down by government forces.

“He ignored the police and soldiers, and sped away towards Maguindanao,” Tayong said, referring to the checkpoint in South Manuangan, Pigcawayan’s border village with nearby Sultan Kudarat, Maguindanao.

Police and soldiers chased Mantil and alerted the Army brigade headquarters in Barangay Pigcalagan, Sultan Kudarat, Maguindanao to put up a roadblock.

The suspect was unarmed when arrested. According to Tayong, Mantil has standing warrants of arrest for his alleged involvement in the 2007 Kidapawan City bombing.

Mantil was also linked to the Kidapawan City bus terminal bombing, also in 2007, that left two persons injured.

He was included on the list of wanted persons issued by the Department of National Defense following the declaration of martial Law in Mindanao last year. (Edwin Fernandez/PNA)

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...