80 firearms surrendered in Maguindanao

COTABATO CITY — Armed civilians involved in long-standing clan wars before turned over some 80 high-powered loose firearms during a ceremony held Tuesday morning in Buldon, Maguindanao.

The firearms were received by Army’s 6th Infantry Division (6ID) Commander Maj. Gen. Arnel Dela Vega and Maguindanao Police Provincial Office Director Sr. Supt. Agustin Tello, as part of the Armed Forces of the Philippines’ Balik Baril Program (BBP).

Also present during the event was Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) Governor Mujiv Hataman, who pledged to assist in the implementation of the BBP program in the region.

The BBP runs parallel to the Philippine National Police’s own campaign against loose firearms.

Mayor Abolais Manalao said the firearms were from families involved in “rido” or clan feuds in the town of Buldon.

“Possession of guns is root cause of clan wars here,” the mayor said adding that since August last year, his town has been declared as “rido-free” due to the local government’s intervention.

The gun surrenderers are expected to initially receive each a head of cow from the ARMM and Buldon town government for every unit of firearm yielded.

The ARMM’s Regional Reconciliation and Unification Commission (RRUC) has recorded a total of 588 cases of family feuds in the region from 2012 to date. The province of Maguindanao has so far recorded 273 rido cases, 54 of which remain unsettled. (Noel Punzalan/PNA)

Popular

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...

Updated cash aid, transport support discussed during 7th UPLIFT Committee meeting led by PBBM

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous whole-of-government efforts to protect Filipinos from the impact of Middle East tensions on energy, transport, and food...