9 cops in March 2021 slay of Calbayog mayor surrender to PNP

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency

Nine police officers facing criminal charges over the killing of Calbayog City Mayor Ronaldo Aquino and some of his staff members in March last year have already surrendered to authorities, the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) said on Wednesday.

In a message to reporters, CIDG spokesperson Lt. Col. Mon Sawan said that aside from the nine police officers, three other persons who were not identified surrendered to the CIDG’s Detective Special Operations Unit (DSOU) in Camp Crame on Tuesday night.

Last January 20, the panel of prosecutors conducting the preliminary investigation resolved to file criminal charges in court against Lt. Col. Harry Sucayre, Maj. Shyrile Tan, Capt. Dino Goles, Lt. Julio Armeza Jr., Staff Sgt. Neil Cebu, Staff Sgt. Edsel Omega, Staff Sgt. Randy Merelos, Cpl. Julius Garcia, Pat. Niño Salem and several John Does.

They were charged for the murder of Aquino, his security aide Staff Sgt. Rodeo Sario, driver Dennis Abayon and passerby Clint John Paul Yauder, and for the frustrated murder of another security aide Mansfield Labonite.

In a resolution dated Dec. 15, 2021, a panel of state prosecutors from the Department of Justice (DOJ) said Aquino and his aides were ambushed by the accused police personnel in Labuyao Bridge, Calbayog City on March 8, 2021.

Then Philippine National Police spokesperson Brig. Gen. Roderick Alba said prior to the DOJ’s decision, four out of the nine respondents were dismissed upon the recommendation of the Internal Affairs Service citing “overwhelming evidence of administrative culpability”. (PNA)-rir

Popular

Student Beep card with 50% discount available starting Sept. 1 —DOTr

By Brian Campued The Department of Transportation (DOTr) is set to roll out white and personalized Beep cards to make commuting more convenient and more...

Palace: China cannot stop PH from asserting its territorial rights

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Friday reiterated that the Philippines will not be deterred in its efforts to defend its territorial and maritime interests in...

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...

DepEd launches ‘EduKahon’ kits to ensure learning continuity in calamity-hit schools

By Brian Campued In line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to strengthen the education sector’s preparedness during disasters, the Department of Education (DepEd)...