Police, military on ‘full alert’ in Davao for BOL plebiscite

by Lilian Mellejor/PNA

DAVAO CITY – The Police Regional Office (PRO)-11 has placed all police units on ‘full alert’ as the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) votes for the ratification of the Bangsamoro Organic Law Monday.

“Davao, being part of Mindanao, and an adjacent region to ARMM, although we have not detected any threats in our region, we cannot let our guards down,” said Chief Supt. Marcelo Morales, PRO-11 regional director, in a statement Sunday.

Morales ordered all unit commanders in the region to keep their personnel intact and to strengthen target hardening on all vital installations, economic key points and places of convergence.

Morales also ordered close coordination with the Armed Forces of the Philippines and other law enforcement agencies and to ensure high state of operational readiness to thwart any hostile action that may be launched by other armed groups like the New People’s Army (NPA), the Abu Sayyaf and the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF).

The Davao police is also taking the directive of Philippine National Police, chief Oscar Albayalde to strictly implement the gun ban.

PRO-11 already recorded seven violators of the gun ban set by the Commission on Elections (Comelec) and has so far confiscated nine short firearms and 256 ammunition.

On the other hand, the 10th Infantry Division (10ID) is also supporting the peaceful conduct of the ratification of the BOL to end armed conflict in Mindanao.

“The 10ID supports the peace initiative and preparations of units involve in providing security assistance during the conduct of plebiscite for BOL,” said Capt. Jerry Lamosao, spokesperson of the 10ID.

Lamosao said units under 10ID are ready in terms of security deployment to prevent untoward incidents.

“We see no significant threat that may disrupt the BOL plebiscite. We also urge everyone to still be vigilant and report any presence of suspicious persons or baggage left unattended especially in places of convergence,” Lamosao added.

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...