70 E. Visayas villages tagged as poll ‘areas of concern’

by Sarwell Meniano/PNA

Key officials from Commission on Elections, Philippine National Police, and Philippine Army recently convened to discuss security preparations for May 13, 2019 elections. (PNP photo)

PALO, Leyte — At least 70 villages in Eastern Visayas have been identified as areas of concern for the upcoming May 13 mid-term elections, but a top poll official said there is nothing to worry since the number only represents less than 2 percent of the region’s 4,390 villages.

Citing initial reports from the Philippine National Police (PNP), Commission on Elections (Comelec) Eastern Visayas Regional Director Jose Nick Mendros said these areas have been identified based on intense political rivalry, presence of private armies, and influence of the New People’s Army (NPA).

Most of these villages are in Northern Samar and Samar provinces. There are also areas of concern in Leyte, Eastern Samar, and Biliran provinces. The PNP has yet to issue a full list of areas of concern, according to Comelec.

“We are not hoping that no more new areas will be added on the list since this year’s election period is more peaceful than in the 2016 national elections,” Mendros told reporters on Monday.

During the village polls last year, the PNP has identified 284 villages in the Eastern Visayas region as election areas of concern.

On Thursday, the Regional Joint Security Control Center (RJSCC) in Eastern Visayas was activated as part of the security preparations for the May 13 elections.

“The peace and order situation of a locality mainly relies on the candidates and their supporters. They have to embrace peace to prevent any election-related violence,” Mendros added.

Based on Comelec Resolution 10077, an area is labeled as an “area of concern” if it has a history of violent political rivalries. A community is tagged as an “area of immediate concern” if there are serious threats posed by the NPA, private armed groups, and terrorists.

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...