PNP respects Legazpi court nod on Daraga mayor’s bail

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan/PNA

MANILA — The Philippine National Police (PNP) on Wednesday said it respects the decision of the Legazpi City Regional Trial Court (RTC) to grant bail to Daraga, Albay Mayor Carlwyn Baldo.

“As the premier law enforcement agency, the PNP bows to the majesty of the law and accepts the court decision allowing Daraga Mayor Carlwyn Baldo to post bail. We shall monitor his movements from time to time and account for his presence during court hearings,” said Senior Supt. Bernard Banac, PNP spokesperson, in a message sent to the Philippine News Agency (PNA) when sought for comment.

The Daraga mayor is under the custody of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) for alleged illegal possession of firearms, ammunition, and explosives.

On Tuesday, the court allowed Baldo to post a PHP3-million bail for his temporary liberty.

Baldo is also accused of being the mastermind in the killing of Ako Bicol Party-list Rep. Rodel Batocabe and his escort, Senior Police Officer 1 Orlando Diaz in Burgos, Daraga, Albay last December 22.

Bail is the security given for the release of a person in custody of the law, furnished by him or a bondsman, to guarantee his appearance before any court as required under the conditions specified.

As of this posting, the beleaguered mayor is still at the Legazpi City police office, awaiting release from CIDG custody.

Last week, RTC Branch 10 Judge Maria Theresa Loquillano issued a gag order to both the CIDG and Baldo’s lawyers against discussing the merits of the case in public.

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...