Debate between Hugpong, Otso Diretso bets unlikely: Comelec

By Ferdinand Patinio/ PNA

MANILA — The debate between candidates of the administration group’s Hugpong ng Pagbabago (HNP) and the Otso Diretso opposition bloc is not likely to push through, the Commission on Elections (Comelec) said Monday.

“As far as the time element is concerned, it’s doubtful because we are two months away from the elections,” Comelec spokesperson James Jimenez said in a press conference.

Jimenez, however, noted that since a formal request has been made, it will be discussed by the Commission en banc.

“So it will be brought to the Commission en banc and if the Commission en banc rules on it one way or the other then we will implement,” he said.

Last week, Otso Diretso bets asked the poll body to organize a debate with the candidates of the HNP.

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...