21 deaths, almost 6K dengue cases recorded in Calabarzon

By Saul Pa-a/PNA

MOSQUITOS BEWARE. DOH-Calabarzon Regional Dengue Prevention and Control Program Coordinator Jomell V. Mojica (right) supervises the training of sanitary inspectors during the four-day “Training on the Insecticide Application and Introduction of Dengue Indoor and Outdoor Residual Spraying for Sanitary Inspectors and Spraymen” at the Lima Park Hotel, Malvar, Batangas from March 26-29, 2019. (Photo courtesy of DOH4A-MRCU)

CALAMBA CITY, Laguna — A total of 5,910 cases of dengue fever, leading to 21 fatalities, were recorded in the Calabarzon Region (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal and Quezon) from Jan. 1 to March 23 this year, the Regional Surveillance and Epidemiology Unit (RESU) reported.

Glen S. Ramos from the Department of Health (DOH) Calabarzon-Media Relations and Communications Unit (MRCU), disclosed to PNA on Wednesday that RESU assessment found this year’s number of cases to be lower compared to the same period last year when 5,925 dengue cases were logged.

Ramos said the dengue-infected patients have a wide age range, from one month-old to centenarians, while a slight majority of those infected, 3,143 or 53 percent, are males.

Ramos said Cavite province recorded the highest number of dengue cases with 1,880 followed by Batangas with 1,332; Laguna-1,183; Quezon-829; and Rizal with 686 cases.

Top cities and municipalities with the most number of dengue cases are Dasmariñas City – 355; Lipa City – 295; Batangas City – 277; Bacoor City – 275; Calamba City – 255; Imus City – 224; Lopez – 219; San Pablo City – 208; Tanauan City – 181; and General Trias City -176.

Popular

Myanmar’s junta chief to head to Bangkok summit as quake toll surpasses 3,000

By Agence France-Presse The head of Myanmar's junta is expected to travel to Bangkok on Thursday for a regional summit, as the death toll from...

PBBM reciprocates VP Sara’s gratitude on helping her mend ties with dad

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency “Glad I could help.” This was the response of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr., according to Palace Press...

Purchase of US fighter jets vital to boost PH defense – ES Bersamin

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin on Thursday, April 3, said the planned procurement of fighter jets from the...

Recto says use of PhilHealth funds to spare PH from new debts

By Benjamin Pulta | Philippine News Agency Finance Secretary Ralph Recto on Wednesday defended the transfer of idle and unused Philippine Health Insurance Corp. (PhilHealth)...