PNP seizes 1,916 loose firearms in Zambo Peninsula

By Teofilo Garcia, Jr./Philippine News Agency

ZAMBOANGA CITY — The Police Regional Office-9 (PRO-9) has intensified its campaign against loose firearms to prevent election-related violence in the region.

Police Brig. Gen. Emmanuel Luis Licup, PRO-9 director, told the Philippine News Agency (PNA) Saturday that they have seized 1,916 unlicensed and undocumented firearms in the entire region since January this year.

The PRO-9 covers the province of Zamboanga Sibugay, Zamboanga del Norte and Zamboanga del Sur, and the cities of Isabela and Zamboanga.

Licup said that 517 of the 1,916 firearms were confiscated through search warrants and other regular police operations while the remaining 1,399 guns were surrendered to the police by private individuals, barangay officials, and local candidates, whose licenses had already expired.

“These loose firearms could potentially be used for violence and crimes in election-related violence leading to the mid-term election this coming May 13,” he said.

Meanwhile, Licup calls on private individuals, barangay officials, and local candidates who have unlicensed guns or with expired license to surrender their firearms.

He also ordered all police units of PRO-9 to be proactive in the drive against persons with loose firearms and to step up its campaign against loose firearms.

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...