DOLE reminds Bicol employers to comply with new wage order

By Connie Calipay/Philippine News Agency

LEGAZPI CITY — The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) regional office for Bicol is reminding employers to comply with the new wage order for daily minimum wage earners in the region that took effect on Wednesday.

DOLE Regional Director Alvin Villamor on Thursday said the salary increase granted to Bicolano workers represents the second tranche of the pay hike that was approved in September last year under Wage Order No. RBV-19 issued by the Regional Tripartite Wages and Productivity Board-5.

Minimum wage earners in Bicol now stand to receive PHP310 daily.

“The adjustment of the minimum wage rate is one of the measures of the government to provide workers with immediate relief spurred by high prices of basic goods and services,” said Villamor, who chairs the RTWPB-5.

He noted that the increase in the minimum wage rate was the result of a series of consultations and public hearings conducted by the wage board.

The prevailing socio-economic conditions in the region as well as the viability of various businesses were among the factors considered by the Board in coming up with the amount.

Wage Order RBV – 19 shall apply to all minimum wage earners in the private sector in the region regardless of their position, designation or status of employment and irrespective of the method by which they are paid.

“We also encourage those establishments in the wholesale and retail trade, construction industry to come up with productivity-based pay schemes that will allow for higher performance/ productivity of the enterprise and income among its workers,” Villamor said.

Excluded from the order are the “kasambahay” or domestic workers covered by Republic Act 10361, (Batas Kasambahay) persons in the personal service of another, and workers of duly registered Barangay Micro-Business Enterprises (BMBEs) with Certificates of Authority pursuant to RA 9178, as amended, and also provided under the Go Negosyo Act of 2013 (RA 10644).

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...